We can’t be working all the time, right? I believe in a healthy balance of work / life with a splash of mental entertainment and stimulation. I believe Jack said it best:
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
Jack Torrence – The Shining (1980)
On that note, I’d like to highlight some of the things that the family and I do to keep up the inspiration, energy levels and sanity.
- At least 3 times per week. Usually a mixture of different types of yoga, cardio and toning. Participants: Dad, Mom, Junior.
- Kitchen dancing
- This is a regular occurrence in the household. It really doesn’t matter what type of music is playing, as long as it’s got a good beat. Last song we danced to was Olivia Newton John’s Xanadu. Participants: Dad, Mom, Junior.
- Yes, the classic board game that teaches the family how to be cutthroat at business. To add a dash of non-realism, I put money in the middle when landing on Free Parking. Participants: Initially it’s Dad, Mom, Junior. Dad and Junior then gang up on Mom. Mom goes bust. Dad lets Junior win (for now).
- Don’t underestimate the entertainment value of playing with lego. I find that this brings me more design ideas than anything else, except when Junior tells me I’ve “built it wrong”. Participants: Dad, Mom, Junior.
- The Vancouver Canucks
- A devoted superfan since 1982. We’re like the Chicago Cubs of Hockey! Participants: Dad during regular and post-season. Mom and Junior during the post-season only.
- Team Fortress 2
- It goes to show that you don’t need the most intense graphics to have a good time. I really like the teamwork and general comradery. Personally, I’m not too keen on the hats and trading. However, it does make for an interesting human behaviour study. You’d be surprised how people are about their in-game hats! A definite time vampire! Participants: Dad, once Junior goes to bed. Mom then wonders who I’m swearing at.
- Angry Birds
- Throwing birds at pigs with a dash of secret golden egg levels. Enough said. Participants: Dad, Mom, Junior.
- Crush the Castle 2
- Sometimes I just like to chuck virtual rocks, bombs and fire at castle walls. Participants: Dad.
- Pitchfork / Fat Wreck Chords
- An ample supply of fresh tunes that you probably wouldn’t hear on any top 40 radio station. Participants: Dad.
- I admit that this my most neglected leisure activity. When I do pick up a book, it’s usually Isaac Asimov or J. R. R. Tolkien. Participants: Mom, Junior, Sometimes Dad.
The important thing is to factor in some sort of leisure time. Life’s busy enough. Don’t let the grind rule your life!