It’s always interesting to see the humble beginnings of a career. Here’s the very first site I actually got paid to do: Ryz Wrestling.
As this was done 10 years ago, I’m not going to beat myself up too bad. However, here’s the lowlights for your amusement:
- HTML 4.0 Transitional Document Type.
- Absolutely no metadata.
- Table-based layout, complete with
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0" MARGINWIDTH="0" LEFTMARGIN="0" TOPMARGIN="0" border="0">and a fixed width of ‘683’ for all of those 800 by 600 resolutions.
- Designed to display consistently with Netscape 4.0 and above.
<font size="-2">, wrapped in a
<div>, wrapped in table cells. Like a crazy HTML Turducken.
- The good old CSS
- Non-breaking spaces used for padding the navigation items, of course.
- The content of the site consisted of "This site is currently under construction".
- Great use of red, salmon and dark jaundice. Complete with lame Photoshop effects.
- Lovingly hand coded with HomeSite
I could keep listing things, but let’s end the suffering there.
Regardless, this is my dollar bill framed on my wall, so to speak. As dated as this is, it’s still a reminder of how far I’ve come.